Immerse yourself in our Foundation series, which is internationally certified by the Specialty Coffee Association! This is a Blended Learning Course -- Refer to 'Inclusive of' section for more details.
Our popular Foundation Series allows learners to take the five essential SCA classes in a week:
- SCA Sensory Foundation: Learn about the essentials of sensory evaluation in a practical and interactive manner. Sensory Skills investigates the way we perceive what we taste, how to evaluate coffee’s natural characteristics, and implementing this knowledge in business.
- SCA Green Coffee Foundation: Learn about the key concepts surrounding green coffee: production, processing, grading, shipping, storage, arrival at destination, as well as coffee contracts and portfolio management.
- SCA Barista Skills Foundation: Learn the practical skills you need behind the espresso bar: learn how to set your grinder, milk techniques and latte art, health and safety, customer service, and basic business practices.
- SCA Brewing Foundation: Learn about the variety of methods for brewing coffee and the brewing variables that affect quality. The Brewing module provides hands-on learning on grind profiles, brewing methods, measuring coffee strength and charting a coffee’s extraction.
- SCA Roasting Foundation: Learn about the roasting process, including roast cycle, roast levels, identifying defects, the physical changes that beans undergo during the roasting process, as well as workspace management and lean production.
You'll finish the series with a well rounded knowledge of coffee. Perfect for the coffee enthusiast or professionals from the industry looking to deepen their knowledge.
The E-learning module of “What is Specialty Coffee” is provided to all students that sign up for our SCA Foundation Courses, to teach you the basic coffee concepts. All students are required to attend as it eases you into the SCA framework.
What you will learn
- Coffee journey from seed to cup
- Differences between Robusta and Arabica coffee
- Introduction of specialty coffee and trends
- Gain insight into the BB coffee education system
You will receive further instructions on how to access this E-learning module once you have signed up for your SCA Foundation course.
The course fees includes the online theory tests. Any subsequent retests (per module) will be charged as follows:
Theory retest/re-enrolment fee: S$40.00 (upon 2 failed attempts)
The online exam link will be sent to you after the practical session has been completed
Students must complete the online theory test (2 attempts) within 21 days from the date of receiving the exam links. After which there will be a S$40.00 administration fee re-enrolment incurred due to the exam link expiration.
Students may also opt to not do the assessments if they choose to. There will be no SCA certification given in this case, but a certificate of completion from Bettr Barista.
E-learning (45 mins) - What is Specialty Coffee? (You will only need to complete this once, if you are signed up for multiple SCA Foundation classes)
Virtual Classroom (13 hours)- The theory components of the module you have signed up for will be taught by an instructor in a Virtual Classroom, on the date that you have signed up for.
Practical (36.5 hours) - There is then a practical component of the class where you will visit our Academy and be guided by an instructor on the hands-on components of the module you have signed up for. Please choose your practical date from the options above and indicate your choice at checkout.
Test - theory (online)
Complimentary with all Foundation series package bookings:
Access to E-learning module "What is Specialty Coffee"
1 cupping spoon
Instalment payment is available for this course, please email us at [email protected] if interested.
|No. of Days:||5|
|No. of Participants:||100|
We are a social enterprise and at the heart of what we do is a unique vocational programme that caters to marginalised women and youth-at-risk. We also operate retail coffee bars islandwide, using these micro-enterprises to amplify positive social impact in the community.
Our dedicated roastery churns out fresh coffee beans for retail/wholesale. Our other retail offeringsinclude Astoria coffee machines, Mazzer grinders and coffee brew accessories.